December 8, 2014

Blogmas: Advent, The Underlying Hope

For the past week I have been coming home after a long day of school to my advent calendar. It is quite sad that something as simple as a calendar full of chocolate can make each day a little more bearable. However, advent calendars stand for much more. To me, they mean hope. Advent is a time of happiness and thanksgiving, and by eating a chocolate a day, it shows that even the smallest of things can make a difference to someone.

Each day at school, we have been celebrating advent by lighting the candles around a wreath. I think most of my class is too busy messing around to even reflect on the idea of what advent stands for. In fact, I'm sure most of my school feels that way, and I don't blame them. I know I used to scream in joy (figuratively, of course) when the teacher would take class time to pray. I don't know exactly what has changed, but now I take the time to participate in the prayer and reflection. I think it is quite important to remember where we came from, as individuals, but also as a group.


So take the time to enjoy the little things that life has blessed you with, and share it with those who aren't so blessed. The holidays are used as a time to give back to people, and I intend on making the best of each situation by giving as much as I can to those in need. Advent is a time to consider how different our lives could be without our everyday "necessities". Are they really necessary?


 Would you die without that cup of Starbucks coffee if you go a day without? Or would it be better off going to a homeless man sleeping on the street, the only thing to warm him up in the blistering cold? If you get one thing from this post, I want you to think of how lucky you are to have the things you do, and contemplate, how would you want people to treat you if the roles were reversed?

No comments:

Post a Comment