November 21, 2014

The Stereotypes of Fast Food

The world is filled with stereotypes. I'm not saying that all are bad, but they are overrated. A stereotype I am tired of hearing is that all fast food is unhealthy. The fast food we are used to now days is 5% food and 95% grease. But it doesn't have to be this way. The purpose of fast food is just that; food that is quick and easy to get to. There are really healthy alternatives to fast food that you can make to last through the week and grab when you specifically need it.

One of the easiest things I have ever made is a roll-up or a wrap. The best thing about these is that you can put in whatever you want. Literally, the world is at your fingertips when it comes to food. One of my favourites to make is a simple turkey wrap. Since I am a vegetarian, I choose to use a meat substitute (Morningstar or Gardein products offer a great variety) in place of the turkey. I add some lettuce, mustard, shredded cheddar cheese, roll it up, and I'm set!
**Tip: Use shredded chicken instead of the turkey, and barbecue sauce in place of the mustard and you have a fajita!

Another great fast and easy recipe to try out is oatmeal bites. I've briefly mentioned these in a previous post, view post, along with the video I found it from, watch video. Pretty much all you do is mix a bowl of oats with things like chocolate chips, seeds, nuts, or anything else you want. You take a spoon of it, depending on how big you want them, and roll them up. Put them on a sheet of wax paper and set them in the fridge to ensure they hold together. These are an amazing choice because they will last throughout the whole week!


Again, I'm not saying that all fast food is unhealthy, and it is okay to eat it every once in a while. In fact, most establishments offer a healthy option. This past week I went to Burger King and found out they have a veggie burger. From what I could tell, it was made from a soy based meat substitute with shredded carrots in it, prepared like a hamburger, and it was delicious.

Like I said, I'm not trying to tell you what to eat. But I do want people to be aware of what they are putting in their bodies. It's not hard to swap out one thing a day for a healthier alternative and it will make you feel so much better in the long run!



No comments:

Post a Comment