November 11, 2014

The Simplicity of a Healthy Breakfast


We all know how important breakfast is. In my opinion, it can make or break your entire day. But sometimes it's hard to find the time to fit in a large & healthy breakfast. I mean, let's be honest: hair & makeup are obviously more important than breakfast, at least in my life. But what I love about Quaker Oats products is that they have the perfect balance of nutrients, quality, and price. They take so little time (if any) to prepare and eat, yet somehow will fill you up and make getting through your long day that much easier. Today I'm going to tell you some of my favourite grab and go breakfast items.


My first and foremost favourite product of Quaker Oats are the oatmeal squares. These are perfect if you have only a short amount of spare time. All you do is pour some milk, and some cereal. If you're like me and don't drink milk, you can easily use a milk substitute (like almond milk or soy milk), or skip the liquid altogether. I am literally in love with these. I bring a baggie of this pretty much every few weeks to school and it lasts throughout the day (even my friends love it!).

My second suggestion is oatmeal. I've always been a bit intimidated by oatmeal, and hadn't really given it a chance until this past summer, and then I literally fell in love with it. I like the consistency to be really thick, which is perfect if you're making oatmeal bites (click for recipe). Another great way to top it off is by adding a bit of chopped fruit. Not only does it give great flavour, but you also get a variety of vitamins.


My last breakfast item is the granola bars. They come in so many different flavours, there has to be at least one that you will find you  love as much as I do. To me, these are more of a treat, but still have a basic serving of grains. I also bring these to school as a snack, and they actually fill me up enough to tide me over until lunch (which is a huge step for me considering I'm always eating). Granola is most definitely a HUGE part of my life, and I am proud to say that I support these bars.


BONUS:Not necessarily a breakfast meal, but the rice cakes are perfect. It's like a healthier alternative to popcorn. When I was really struggling with my eating disorder, I lived off of these since they only have 35 calories per piece (which is big enough to be about 2-3 cups). A great way to spice this up is by adding some peanut butter (or sunbutter), cheese, or have it with a side of veggies. And if plain isn't your style, you can choose from other flavours like caramel corn, chocolate, cheddar, or apple cinnamon.

The Quaker products range from $2.50 to $4.88 in stores; or you can even order them in bulk to stock up! Whichever item(s) you choose, remember to start off your morning on the right foot by eating a big and healthy breakfast everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment